Tuesday, May 1, 2007

A Family of Service


I am a veteran of the United States Air Force and retired in 2000. I come from a family that has a tradition of military service. My father was a paratrooper with the Army during the invasion of Normandy. My brother is retired from the Marine Corps with service in Viet Nam to include two purple hearts and a bronze star for heroic achievement in Quang-Tri Province, Vietnam. All my uncles on both sides saw service in Europe and the Pacific during World War II in the Army and the Navy. I had cousins who served in the Korean War and cousins who performed duty with the Coast Guard. I had a great career with the Air Force, starting with the Air Force Intelligence Command and finishing my career with Air Force Special Operations Command. My assignments have been all over the world including Japan, England, Turkey, Korea and the Philippines. The greatest thing I liked about my service with the Air Force was the opportunity to travel to so many places and experience the cultures of so many other countries. I consider my years with the Air Force as the best years of my life.

No comments: